Maintaining a safe workplace is a crucial part of running a successful business. Keeping your staff safe should be of paramount importance because without them, your business probably would’ve failed long ago. But we all know that sometimes accidents just happen. Workers compensation insurance is designed to protect your employees in those cases.
In addition to purchasing workers comp insurance, there are plenty of ways you can make the workplace safer, therefore reducing the risk of an accident from occurring. And with fewer accidents, you’re likely to enjoy lower insurance premiums as well. Here are six ideas for improving workplace safety.
- Fire Drills: Everyone in the building should know what to do in case of a fire, and the best way to prepare is to plan fire drills at least twice per year. Ensure that employees, old and new, know where evacuation routes are posted and where to find and how to use fire extinguishers.
- No Open Flames: Open flames should be banned from the workplace. Burning candles can be replaced by candle warmers. Smoking should be limited to designated outdoor areas. Even space heaters can be a fire hazard; only allow models with an automatic off switch if it gets knocked over.
- Tripping Hazards: Slips and trips are the most common workplace injuries. Prevent incidents by keeping wires neatly coiled and secured against walls, closing drawers when not in use, cleaning spills as soon as possible and keeping walkways free of clutter.
- Training: If your business uses non-standard equipment or materials, ensure that employees are thoroughly trained on handling those items. They should also be trained on using the proper protective gear (which must be provided) and first aid protocols in case of emergency.
- Security: Installing an alarm system and security cameras makes the building safer for everyone by deterring criminals from entering the premises. Not to mention, if anything does happen, it’s easier to catch the culprit with security measures in place.
- Maintenance: Keeping the building tidy, clean and in good repair is a must. A small annoyance like frayed carpeting can turn into a big problem if someone trips over it and suffers a broken leg.